Golden Monkey Trekking in Virunga National Park
Golden Monkey Trekking in Virunga
Golden monkey trekking in Virunga national park is one of the most rewarding activities that tourists can participate when they visit the park for memorable Congo safaris. It should be noted that the park is a home to the endangered primate species that can be found in Virunga national park, Mgahinga national park and Volcanoes national park however the golden monkey trekking experience in Virunga national park is quite unmatched because of the rewarding views and attractions that can be seen during the activity and the fact that it houses large numbers of golden monkey troops compared to the other national parks where the golden monkeys are seen.
What involves in golden monkey trekking
Golden monkey trekking in virunga national park involves tourists hiking mount Mikeno in order to get to the habituated golden monkey troops in the park. Before participating in golden monkey trekking in the park tourist will participate in the briefing session where they will take you through the do’s and don’ts like avoiding unnecessary movements and noise in the park, eating in the presence of the golden monkeys among other rules and regulations to follow during the activity for a memorable and safe golden monkey trekking activity in the park.
PACKING LIST FOR GOLDEN MONKEY TREKKING
- Hiking boots are essential during golden monkey trekking in virunga national park to have a comfortable activity as you hike along the slippery routes along Mount Mikeno.
- Insect repellent to avoid being bitten by a number of insects like the tsetse flies which can spread diseases and cause irritation once bitten.
- Drinking water to remain hydrated during the activity since the golden monkeys are usually found in the high elevation in the bamboo trees which act as food to the primates.
- Binoculars are also essential though optional during golden monkey trekking in virunga national park because during the activity you will get to see a number of attractions like the numerous birds’ species which will make the activity rewarding.
- A camera is also important during golden monkey trekking to capture the beautiful moments of the primates during the activity in the park.
- Long trousers and long shirts to avoid being pricked by nettles and scratched by branches during the hike through the forests along the mountain to get to the habituated troops.
RULES AND REGULATIONS OF GOLDEN MONKEY TREKKING
- Should follow the lead of the guide in order to have a safe activity with virunga national for memorable Congo Safaris.
- Should avoid unnecessary movement and noise in the park during golden monkey trekking to avoid scaring off the golden monkeys to different areas. It should be noted that the activity is highly active because it involves the monkeys moving from one place to another therefore when you get the chance to meet the group you should avoid scaring them off
- In order to take part in golden monkey trekking in the park, you should be healthy and free from any diseases in the park to avoid the primates from contracting the diseases.
- Tourists under the age of 15 years old are not advised to take part in the activity.
ADDED BENEFITS FOR GOLDEN MONKEY TREKKING
- While participating in golden monkey trekking in virunga national park, you will get to see a number of Bird species as you hike through the forest of Mount Mikeno in order to get to the different habituated Congo Gorilla families in the park among the different gorilla families that can be seen include; narrow tailed sterling Doherty’s Bush-shrikes, Chubb’s Cisticola, African Goshawk, African Blue Flycatcher and Baglafetcht weaver, handsome Francolin, Dusky turtle love, Ruwenzori turaco, Ruwenzori nightjar, the dusky crimson wing African fish eagle
- During golden monkey trekking in the park, tourist will come across a number of Primate species that will make the activity quite memorable and these include the chimpanzees, gorillas among other attractions in the park
It is important to note that there are no organized treks because of the fact that the golden monkeys are always far from the camp but when they get close to the kikumba area, the park management is able to organize the treks for clients that are interested in carrying out the activity.