Gorilla Trekking in Virunga National Park
Gorilla Trekking in Virunga National Park
Gorilla trekking in Virunga national park is one of the most rewarding activities that tourists can be carried out for memorable Congo safaris where tourists will see a quarter of the world’s remaining mountain gorillas which can only be found in Mgahinga National Park, Volcanoes National Park, Bwindi impenetrable national park, and in Virunga national park however in virunga national park you will have the most amazing gorilla trekking experience in Congo as compared to other national parks where you can find the different gorilla families. Gorilla trekking in the park involves tourists hiking mount Mikeno which is among the Virunga Mountains in Congo where you will see rewarding attractions including the different habituated Congo gorilla families in the park to have memorable activity in virunga national park
Gorilla trekking in virunga national park
After acquiring a gorilla trekking permit, tourists will be led to the reception area where you will go through the gorilla trekking activity about the do’s and don’ts in the park. After the briefing session in the park, tourists will then lead to the forest and hike mount Mikeno where you will get to the habituated gorilla families in the park. When you get to the families, you will get the opportunity to spend an hour with the families understanding their behaviour in the park, their feeding patterns, their co-existence with one another, their diet which comprises of bamboo shoots, fruits, edible leaves, termites and other small insects and at the end of the day, you will get to take pictures of the gorillas for memorable experiences in the park.
Price of gorilla trekking permit
For a tourist to participate in gorilla trekking in virunga national park, you should obtain a gorilla trekking at only 400usd which is cheaper than gorilla trekking in volcanoes national park at a fee of 1500USD and gorilla trekking in Bwindi impenetrable national park and mgahinga national park which is at a fee of 600USD however the price will increase to 700USD on 1st July 2020 which makes gorilla trekking in virunga national park cheaper. Another important aspect to note about gorilla trekking in virunga national park is the fact that activities in the park are sold in packages and among the famous package is the Mikeno mist where you will visit the gorillas in the park among other packages.
GUIDELINES OF GORILLA TREKKING IN RWANDA
- Littering in the park is highly prohibited because it will cause a number of accidents to the primates for instance they can choke on the litter in the park.
- You should avoid unnecessary movements in the presence of the gorillas because it can trigger the primates as a threat which can lead them to fatally attack you.
- Trackers should avoid smoking in the presence of the gorillas to avoid spreading diseases to them like pneumonia and lung cancer.
- Just like unnecessary movements, unnecessary noise should also be avoided while in the presence of the gorillas because it can lead them to fatally attack them.
- While Taking pictures of gorillas during gorilla trekking in virunga national park, you should avoid using flash mode because it can scare off the primates while in the park.
- Avoid eating in the presence of the different Congo gorilla families during your gorilla trekking in virunga national park to avoid spread diseases in the park.
- A distance of at least 7 metres should be maintained between the gorillas and the tourists in order to avoid them from contracting diseases from the tourists like colds among others because the gorillas are very vulnerable creatures.
- Most importantly about gorilla trekking in virunga national park is that tourists below 15 years should not participate in gorilla trekking in the park.
PACKING LIST FOR GORILLA TREKKING IN Rwanda
For a memorable gorilla trekking activity in virunga national park, tourists should have the perfect hiking gear in order to have a comfortable time in the park.
- Comfortable Hiking boots that will ensure that you have a comfortable activity in virunga national park. With the comfortable hiking boots it will enable you hike comfortably in the steep slopes of mount Mikeno to get to the different Congo gorilla families.
- Insect repellent should not be forgotten during your gorilla trekking activity in virunga national park because the park is a home to a number of disease spreading insects like mosquitoes, tsetse flies black flies among other insects that can cause irritation and spread diseases after their bites.
- Binoculars should be packed because you will get to see a number of bird species in the park.
- Don’t forget a Camera in order to take memorable pictures of the primates during gorilla trekking in Congo.
ADDED BENEFITS OF GORILLA TREKKING IN VIRUNGA NATIONAL PARK
During gorilla trekking in virunga national park, you will get to see a number of bird species along the forests on the slopes of mount Mikeno given the fact that the park is a home to 700 bird species that can be seen along the way to the different habituated gorilla families. Interesting about the activity you can at least see 100 bird species in the park during gorilla trekking and among the notable bird species that will be seen include; Rwenzori Batis, Dusky turtle love, paradise flycatcher, double collared sunbird, marsh harrier, long-crested eagle handsome Francolin Ruwenzori turaco among other species which will make gorilla trekking in virunga national park quite memorable.
As you hike along the slopes of mount Mikeno, you will get to see a number of primate species as you get to the different Congo gorilla families for instance along the lower slopes, you will get to see a number of habituated chimpanzee troops and along the bamboo trees on the mountain, you will get to see the habituated golden monkey troops swinging from one tree branch to another which is quite mesmerizing to watch making the experience quite memorable.