Gorilla Trekking in Mgahinga National Park
Gorilla Trekking in Mgahinga National Park
Gorilla trekking in Mgahinga National Park is among the most memorable activity that can be carried out for amazing experiences during your Uganda tour. Mgahinga national park is among the three national parks that are found within the virunga massif and the other national parks include Volcanoes National Park and Virunga National Park where you can find the endangered mountain gorillas and the golden monkeys among other attractions. Gorilla trekking in mgahinga national park is quite memorable because you will get to see a number of attractions while carrying out the activity and these include; numerous bird species, a number of exceptional views among other attractions within the park that will make your Uganda safaris quite memorable when you visit the park.
WHERE TO CARRY OUT GORILLA TREKKING IN THE PARK
Gorilla trekking in Mgahinga National Park is carried out along the different virunga mountain where you can find the two gorilla families including the Nyakagezi gorilla family and the recently migrated group from Volcanoes National Park the Hirwa Gorilla family. Gorilla trekking in Mgahinga National park involves tourists hiking the different virunga mountains which include; Mount Sabyinyo, Mount Muhabura and Mount Gahinga where you get to see the different gorilla families in the bamboo trees of the mountains in the park. Interesting about gorilla trekking in Mgahinga National Park is the fact that you can also get to see the mobile group from Volcanoes National Park.
When you get to the gorilla families in the park, you will get to spend one hour with them in order to understand more about the primates while in the park for instance their feeding pattern, their co- existence with one another among other interesting features about the different gorilla families in the wild, you will also get to take pictures of the primates for a memorable activity in the park.
GORILLA TREKKING PERMIT
In order to participate in gorilla trekking in mgahinga national park, tourists can obtain a gorilla trekking permit from a trusted tour company or from the Uganda Wildlife Authority and obtain the permit. However it should be noted that you should book for a gorilla trekking permit in advance in order not to miss out on the memorable gorilla trekking in Mgahinga National Park this is because, for every gorilla family in the park, a maximum of only 8 people are allowed to take part in the activity which is quite a limited number compared to gorilla trekking in Bwindi impenetrable national park where you can find over 15 habituated gorilla families in the park.
PACKING LIST FOR GORILLA TREKKING
- Hiking boots because the activity involves hiking the virunga mountains, to access the different gorilla families, therefore, you should have comfortable hiking boots in order to have a comfortable hike to the families
- Insect repellent should also be packed in order to avoid being bitten by a number of insects which can cause irritation and also spread a number of diseases.
- Binoculars although they are optional, can be carried because you can see a number of bird species as you get to see a number of bird species.
- A camera to capture the beautiful moments of the primates and the different views during the hikes.
- Long trousers and shirts to avoid being pricked and scratched by nettles.
GUIDELINES FOR GORILLA TREKKING IN MGAHINGA NATIONAL PARK
- Unnecessary movement in the park when you get to the different gorilla families should be avoided because it can scare off the gorillas.
- Unnecessary noise in the park should also be avoided during gorilla trekking
- Taking pictures of the gorillas while using flash mode should be avoided because it will trigger the gorillas as a threat which can cause them to react violently.
- Tourists under the age of 15 years are not allowed to participate in gorilla trekking.
- Should follow the lead of the guide in order to be safe during gorilla trekking in Mgahinga National Park.
- In order to take part in gorilla trekking in Mgahinga National Park, you should be free from any diseases to avoid spreading diseases to the primates.
- Tourists under the age of 15 years old are not advised to take part in the activity.