5 Days Mount Nyiragongo & Volcanoes Gorilla Trekking safari
5 Days Mount Nyiragongo & Volcanoes Gorilla Trekking safari is a short but fun-packed safari including gorilla trekking and Nyiragongo Hiking. and This is an ideal package for the adventurous and energetic travellers as you will need experience and zeal to be able to complete this tour. This is a hike up one of the most sought after volcanoes one active volcanic mountain and visits the world’s remaining mountain gorillas.
Highlights of the 5 Days Mount Nyiragongo & Volcanoes Gorilla Trekking safari
- Day 1: Drive from Kigali and transfer to Goma for a city tour.
- Day 2: Hike up Mount Nyiragongo
- Day 3: Descend Nyiragongo and Transfer to Volcanoes NP
- Day 4: Mount Gorilla hike in Volcanoes NP
- Day 5: Transfer back to Kigali
Day 1: Drive from Kigali and transfer to Goma for Goma city tour.
- Transfer to Goma: You will meet up with your driver-guide in the morning to get a brief on what to expect in the next 5 days in Rwanda and DRCongo. You will drive to the west side of the country towards DRCongo and exit Rwanda connecting to Goma town. Arrive in Goma in time for a city tour or town service and authentic Congolese lunch in any popular dinning point. Connect to check in to your hotel for dinner and night stay at Lac Kivu Hotel, Ihusi hotel, and La Joie Plaza Hotel
Day 2: Hike up Mount Nyiragongo
- Hike up Mount Nyiragongo: Have an early breakfast and connect to Grande barrier to check in with the tourism office and receive your Nyiragongo hike permit and join the convoy headed to the trailhead of the hike. Receive a briefing at Bukima Police post, hire porters and hiking sticks and set uphill. This is a 5 hour hike up hill with two stopovers to refresh and rest. You will arrive at the summit in the early evening hours where you can enjoy the breathtaking views of the boiling lava and Goma city in the back. Have dinner and retire back to shelters for an overnight stay.
Day 3: Descend Nyiragongo and Transfer to Volcanoes NP
- Descend Nyiragongo: Wake up early and enjoy the sunrise at the top of the volcano. Have a simple breakfast and set out to descend the volcano reaching back at the starting point by around midday and drive back to Goma and exit DRCongo and connect back to Rwanda. Have lunch at Gisenyi at the shores of Lake Kivu and connect to Volcanoes National Park. Arrive in Volcanoes National park in time to check into your hotel for dinner and overnight rest in anticipation for the next eventful days. Dinner and overnight will be in Ruhengeri at Hotel Muhabura, Le Bambou Gorilla Lodge, 5 Volcanoes Gorilla lodge
Day 4: Mount Gorilla hike in Volcanoes NP
- Mount Gorilla hike: Wake up early and excited for this day where you will get to enjoy the presence of the world’s only remaining mountain gorillas. Have breakfast and connect to the park headquarters in time for the pre-trekking brief which lasts about 20 minutes then walks into the forest in search for these gentle giants. You will encounter them after about 2 to 5 hours trekking through the bushes. Once you see them, you are allowed an hour with mountain gorillas, watching the silverback protect the group, the female gorillas nurture their young ones and after exit the forest to connect back to your accommodation for a late lunch and rest. You may go for an optional cultural visit at the Iby’iwachu cultural centre to experience the Rwandan culture and get back to the hotel before nightfall in time for dinner and overnight as the previous night.
Day 5: Return to Kigali
- Return to Kigali: Wake up to a tasty breakfast and check out of your hotel in time to drive back to Kigali for drop off. You will have a brief Kigali city tour on this day if it was not possible on the first day visiting the Inema Arts Centre, Kimironko market and Kigali Genocide.
End of 5 Days Mount Nyiragongo & Volcanoes Gorilla Trekking safari