6 days Virunga Classic Package
Take 6 days in Virunga national park visiting the mountain gorillas and hike up to the world’s largest lava lake. This package sets off from Goma on Mondays and Wednesdays at 11:15 am so ensure to align your flights accordingly. Spend a night in the Bukima Tented Camp and 2 nights in the prestigious Mikeno lodge with 2 gorilla treks and a hike up the Mount Nyiragongo.
Trip Highlights of the 6 days Virunga Classic Package
- 2 Gorilla treks in Virunga National Park
- Mikeno lodge
- Senkwekwe gorilla orphanage
- Mount Nyiragongo hike
- Kigali city tour
Day 1: Connect from Kigali to the Goma Grande Barrier
- Drive from Kigali; Catch an early morning flight into the Rwanda and Kigali International Airport preferably a flight before 8 am and be met by your driver-guide upon arrival to brief you and set out on your journey to Goma border to check in with the Virunga tourism office that is located at the Grande Barrier/ Goma border. The drive is about 4 to 5 hours.
- Check-in with the office and get your permits for the activities to be done and join the security convoy headed for the Great Ape Package. You will arrive at your hotel in time for a late lunch and spend the afternoon relaxing and anticipating the following days’ events. The first night will be spent at the Mikeno lodge in Rumangabo where the park headquarters are also situated.
Day 2: First Gorilla trek in Virunga National Park
- Mountain Gorilla trek; Wake up to an early breakfast at the prestigious Mikeno lodge and drive to the Bukima ranger post where the treks of Virunga start from. This is also where you will be briefed by the ranger guides about the gorilla trek in Virunga National Park and also where you may hire the porters and necessities for the trek.
- Enter the forest searching for the mountain gorillas for about 2 to 3 hours through the thick bushes and once you encounter these amazing creatures, you will spend the accepted 1 hour with them at a 6 meters distance. Enjoy them and after drive to Bukima tented camp for lunch and where you will be spending the second night. If you are interested, you may take on an optional nature walk or take some time to visit the park’s bamboo project.
Day 3: Second Gorilla trek in Virunga National Park
- Second Gorilla trek: This is yet another thrilling day where you get the second chance to spend some more time with the gorillas. Have breakfast at Bukima tented camp and connect back to the briefing point to visit a second family in the park. Have a briefing like the previous day and set out on your trek. Trek for about 2 to 3 hours according to how far the gorilla family you are to visit this day is. After the trek, your driver guide will be there waiting to transfer you to Mikeno lodge for lunch.
- Spend the evening enjoying the Mikeno compound where you may visit the Senkwekwe gorilla orphanage or the Virunga park headquarters. You can also opt to stay at the terrace enjoying the breeze and the views while reading a book until it is dinner time. Have dinner at Mikeno lodge and spend a second night at the hotel.
Day 4: Free day in the Virunga National Park
- Free day; Wake up to a luxurious breakfast and have a leisurely day enjoying the luxurious Mikeno lodge. You can opt to visit some of the area’s projects and return to the lodge for lunch. Take on a guided nature walk in the afternoon and get lost in nature for a while. Return to the Mikeno lodge in time before night fall.
- You will have dinner and the last night in the park at Mikeno lodge
Day 5: Connect for Nyiragongo hike up
- Ascend Mount Nyiragongo: After breakfast at the Mikeno lodge, meet with your driver guide to drive to the Nyiragongo trailhead to join the other hikers for the Nyiragongo ascent that day. You will hire the porter, hiking stick and Nyiragongo backpack and set out on your 5 hour up this active volcanic mountain with 2 stopovers enroute the hike up.
- Reach the summit in the early evening hours to enjoy the sunset and the breathtaking views at the top of Mount Nyiragongo. Have dinner and enjoy the night in the Nyiragongo summit shelters.
Day 6: Descend the volcano and drive back to Kigali
- Descend the volcano: Wake up very early to enjoy the wee morning hours at the top of the volcano to enjoy the views and have breakfast shortly before you set off on your descent back to the trailhead. Reach the trailhead at about 12pm and drive to exit the country back into Rwanda to Kigali with an enroute lunch. If you have time, you may take on a Kigali city tour inclusive of the Kigali Genocide Memorial center and the Kimironko cultural market where you can get souvenirs and interact with the Rwanda people. You will be dropped off at the Kigali airport or the hotel as you will advise your guide.
End of the 6 Days Virunga Classic Package
- Gorilla trek permits
- Nyiragongo hike permit
- DRCongo tourist visa
- Bed nights at Mikeno lodge and Bukima tented camp as described above
- Stay at Nyiragongo summit shelters.
- Full time English/ French speaking driver guide
- 4WD fueled safari vehicle for all ground transfers
- Meals all through the trip
- Bottled water on trip
- Money transfer fees
- Visa fees for Rwanda
- International flights
- Optional activities
- Personal needs such as airtime, tips, laundry etc