5 Days Rwanda Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo Hike
5 Days Volcanoes Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo Hike is an exclusive tour to Rwanda and Congo. This is a plan that helps you visit the major attractions of the region. This package can be booked at any time of the year. You will visit the Virunga National Park to hike up the world’s largest lava lake overnight and also get to visit a mountain gorilla family of Volcanoes National Park.
Highlights of the 5 Days Rwanda Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo Hike
- Day 1: Pick up Kigali & Transfer to Volcanoes National Park
- Day 2: Gorilla Trekking in the Volcanoes National Park
- Day 3: Transfer to Gisenyi
- Day 4: Mount Nyiragongo Hike
- Day 5: Descend Mount Nyiragongo
Details of the Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Pick up Kigali & Transfer to Volcanoes National Park
- Pick-Up & Transfer to Volcanoes: Catch an early morning flight into Rwanda and land at Kigali airport in time to start your 5 day tour. Your driver guide will welcome you and give you a brief of what to expect and what is expected of you and then set out to have a city tour of Kigali visiting one of the genocide memorial grounds and a cultural market where you will get to interact with the Rwandan locals. Have lunch then set out further to the Volcanoes National Park to check in to your accommodation for dinner and spend a night in the home of the mountain gorillas. Hotel of choice will be according to chosen budget that is Hotel Muhabura, Le Bambou Gorilla Lodge or 5 Volcanoes Gorilla Lodge. (these can be edited according to your choice)
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking in the Volcanoes National Park
- Gorilla Trekking Experience: This is an eventful day where you will wake up in anticipation to see the last remaining mountain gorillas in the world in their wild habitat. Have an early breakfast and set out to the park headquarters for the pre-trek briefing by the park rangers and after a few minutes start the journey into the forest in search of the mountain gorillas according to where they were last spotted by the trackers. When you meet them after about 2 to 5 hours of trekking, you will enjoy 1 hour in their home for the day watching them go about their day and take as many no flash photos you can get. You will be expected to maintain all the guidelines given to you on the brief for your gorilla trek. Make your way back to your accommodation to refresh and have lunch and reminisce on the experience or opt to go for a community/ cultural visit to get to interact with the inhabitants of the region. Get back to your hotel before it gets dark and have a calm dinner and retire from that day at hotel of the night before.
Day 3: Transfer to Gisenyi
- Transfer to Gisenyi: Go for your last breakfast in your lodge, check out of your accommodation and drive to Gisenyi for your Lake Kivu for lunch at the shores. You may take a boat trip on the Lake to enjoy the breeze and views that side of Rwanda has to offer. Later in the afternoon, connect to cross into DRCongo in anticipation for your next day’s hike. Check into your Goma accommodation as preferred for dinner and an overnight stay at Lac Kivu, Hotel Ihusi or Hotel Linda.
Day 4: Mount Nyiragongo Hike
- Nyiragongo Hike: This will be the day you hike up this mountain. Have an early breakfast and join the assemble at the Grande Barrier border, check-in with the Virunga tourism office and get your permit for the 2-day hike. Drive to Bukima ranger post where the hike will start from. Hire your porter if necessary and other necessities for this hike. Ascend for about 6 hours with 2 stopovers to refresh and reach the summit in the evening for the breathtaking views and experience. Your dinner will be prepared from the top as you enjoy Mount Nyiragongo with the active lava boiling and lights from Goma city seen afar on clear nights. Spend the night at the top.
Day 5: Descend Mount Nyiragongo
- Descend Mount Nyiragongo & Departures: Wake up early to see the break of dawn from the top of the volcano. Have a simple “Congo” breakfast and enjoy the last moments atop the mountain before you start off on your four to five-hour descent. You will reach back at the trailhead by 12 pm and connect with your driver to transfer you back to Goma to check out and get your Rwanda visa and connect further to Kigali to end your trip with either an airport dropoff or drop off at your hotel in Kigali as you will advise.
End of the 5 Days Rwanda Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo Hike