3 Days Mount Karisimbi Hike
3 Days Mount Karisimbi Hike
3 Days Mount Karisimbi Hike is one of the best Rwanda Hiking Safari packages that a traveler can engage in when they need to experience a nice hiking trip. Hike up the Mount Karisimbi on this 3 Day safari with a night stay at the top of the dormant volcano. Mount Karisimbi is one of the mountains in the Virunga Range on the border of Uganda, Rwanda, and DRCongo and is estimated to be the highest at 4,507 meters.
Highlights of the 3 Days Mount Karisimbi Hike
- Day 1: Drive from Kigali to Musanze with the city tour
- Day 2: Hike up Mount Karisimbi with overnight
- Day 3: Descend the Mount Karisimbi
Day 1: Drive from Kigali to Musanze with city tour
- Kigali city tour: Meet up with your driver-guide at the agreed pick up location in Kigali and share pleasantries, then set out for the 3 days safari in Kigali. You will have the first stop at the Kigali Genocide Memorial grounds for a visit and brief history of the 1994 Rwanda genocide. Connect further to the Kimironko market to get a chance to interact with the local people of Rwanda.
- Transfer to Musanze: Drive to Musanze for lunch and connect to your hotel for check-in and dinner and night stay to rest for the next day’s activity. Accommodation choice will be according to the selected budget.
- Options: Hotel Muhabura for budget, Le Bambou Gorilla Lodge for midrange, 5 Volcanoes gorilla lodge for luxury
Day 2: Hike up Mount Karisimbi with overnight
- Hike up Mount Karisimbi: Get out your hiking shoes and set out to the park after breakfast to hike up Mount Karisimbi. Mount Karisimbi stands at a height of 4,507 meters above sea level making it the highest volcano of the 8 Virunga ranges. Get to the park headquarters by 7 am and start the hike up by 8 am. The hike up the volcano has rewarding views with the flora uphill also great birdlife can be seen while going up. You can see the other volcanoes like Nyiragongo and Nyamulagira along the hike to the shelter. The hike will be 6 hours up to the shelter. You will spend a night at camp at 3,700m.
Day 3: Descend the Mount Karisimbi
- Descend the Mount Karisimbi: Wake up and have a cup of coffee and continue up the volcano to reach the summit. Spend some time enjoying the breathtaking views and then descend the volcano to meet your driver guide who will be waiting to drive you back to Kigali. You will take some time off to visit the Dian Fossey fund museum where you get to see the works of the late Gorilla woman and also some artifacts that carried meaning to her. This museum also has a 3D creation of the Virunga Mountains.
- Return to Kigali: Have lunch then continue on your drive back to Kigali arriving in the afternoon for drop off at your hotel or airport as you will advise. If you didn’t have the Kigali city tour on the first day, you may as well do it on this day before you part ways with your driver-guide.
- 4×4 Safari vehicle for all ground transfers
- Full-time English speaking guide
- Accommodation as described in the itinerary
- Meals throughout the trip
- Bottled water
- Permits/ fees for all activities in the itinerary
- Money transfer fees
- Visa fees
- International flights
- Personal needs like airtime, laundry, tips, and alcoholic beverages.